I’ve started to use i-cords quite a bit. They’re great for making tentacles for squid!
I thought I would share with you how to do it, because once you get through the initial fiddly bit they are super easy.
An i-cord is simply making two chains side by side at the same time, here is how to do it:
- Chain 2
2. Insert your hook in to the first chain
3. Make a stitch through the first stitch only, this will leave you with 2 loops on your hook
4. Make another stitch through the first stitch on your hook
5. Remove the stitch you just worked through from the hook. You are going to want to keep hold of it so that you don’t pull it undone
6. Make a stitch through the loop left on the hook
7. Pick up the dropped stitch
8. Make a stitch through the first loop only.
Continue steps 5 to 8 until your i-cord is at the desired length.
To finish, work through to step 7, and then make a stitch through both loops, and then another stitch. Cut your yarn and pull the final stitch tight.
The tentacles on the tiny squid below are made using i-cords. His full pattern will be available soon!
Happy crocheting 🙂